More DIY Theatre Caps.

The first lotΒ I made were successful and being worn. So I sewed more washable operating theatre caps for MS :)

Here I’m modelling the other disposable theatre cap – SHOWER CAP type. Which I will NOT replicate. p.s. I think I look better with hair.

 

I needed to think about the construction process again, even though I’ve made them not so long ago. I went back to my own post and realised the steps weren’t very clear even to myself. Oops.

Anyway, here are some more process pics to be shared (and remind myself how to sew them in the future).

I decided to make 3 again. One with a complementary print.
I decided to make 3 again.

 

First – I LOVE (I think I use this word too often) this world map print fabric!

 

The other two are: Japanese mountains/clouds, and a doggy print complemented with tiny triangles in the same colour. I cut them out using a disposable one as a template, adding an inside strip that will be folded to the outside when worn.

 

I overlocked the outside and inside pieces together, and the top separately. Since the inside piece will be folded out when worn, cut and sew directional print fabrics accordingly.
I overlocked the outside and inside pieces together, and the top separately. Since the inside piece will be folded out when worn, directional prints have to be cut and sewed accordingly.

 

Bias tape all around, except the top edges of both the large pieces, and the round edge of the top piece.
Bias tape all around, except the top edges of both the large pieces, and the round edge of the top piece.

 

Overlocked, bias-taped and ready to be sewn together.
Overlocked, bias-taped and ready to be sewn together.

 

Basically just sew the top edge of the large piece(s) and and the round edge of the top piece together.
Basically just sew the top edge of the large piece(s) and and the round edge of the top piece together.

 

The sides don't add up perfectly, so I put one tuck/pleat on each side.
The sides don’t add up perfectly, so I put one tuck/pleat on each side.

 

FINITO.
FINITO.

 

I experimented with contrasting colour for the Japanese print cap.
I experimented with contrasting colour in the bias tape for the Japanese print cap.

 

Done as well. It took me much longer than it looks/I expected.
Done as well. It took me much longer than it looks/I expected.

 

diy-theatre-caps-12
Last one done and dusted!

 

Phew~my back was aching after making these! (Probably due to bad posture when I pin/sew)
Phew~my back was aching after making these! (Probably due to bad posture when I pin/sew)

 

Boxed and gifted.
Boxed and gifted.

 

Doggie cap modelled
“Dogs and Triangles” cap modelled.

 

"Sky & Mountains" cap modelled
“Sky & Mountains” cap modelled

 

"World in Your Hands" cap modelled (and Hello to your friend!).
“World in Your Hands” cap modelled (and Hello to your friend and thanks for her consent for me to post this pic!).

 

What I definitely need to improve on still: sewing the corners with bias tape! In some places it wasn’t pretty. Or it looks okay on the top side and baaaaad on the other. I also kept missing the edge of the bottom side which ended up not being stitched down. Projects like these are great for me to practise my sewing skills, a little bit at a time.

Advertisements

4 thoughts on “More DIY Theatre Caps.

  1. These are SO cool! I love the idea that you are making something so useful and beautiful. And the modeled photos are great!

  2. Pingback: DIY Theatre Caps Vol. 3.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s