[Warning: Photo Heavy]
We got married and I not-so-secretly incorporated a mini fabric store hunt into our honeymoon, and thanks to my ever-so-patient husband, he encouraged me to do what makes me happy. Of course, first and foremost we did loads of sightseeing, eating, and experiencing the Italian culture!
More about my wedding at end of the post. Now, FABRIC SHOPS!
- Communication: Communicating in English wasn’t a problem in all of the fabric stores I’ve visited, and the fabric composition, measurement and price are mostly clearly marked on the bolt – in Italian – but the shop attendants were all able to tell me what they were when I asked.
- Payment: Metropolitan stores all take major credit cards.
- Fabric origin: I’m not sure if all the fabrics were made in Italy, but whenever I asked I always got told they were.
- Price: Depending on the individual store but in general, designer silks are 100-200 euros/m; Unbranded 100% silk 50-100 euros/m; Wool variable price, much more expensive if mixed with cashmere (of course); Tweeds 40-80 euros/m unless designer; Cottons and synthetics under 50 euros/m. Suburban stores may be cheaper.
- Opening times: Also, many retail shops (especially those out of main tourist and CBD areas) close for a daily long lunch and are not open on Monday mornings and Sundays, so I made sure to check the opening times on Google before I went. August 15th is a public holiday, and many shops are closed on Nov 1st and 2nd (All Saints Day and All Souls Day respectively).
- Tax refund: When you spend over 155 euros in one shop in a day (and intending to bring the purchases out of the E.U.), you can get 15-25% VAT return (VAT: Value-Added Tax) claimable later at the out-port before check-in; The goods have to be unused. I had to show my passport at the stores and there were forms to fill in for that.
FRATELLI BASSETTI TESSUTI
- Address: Corso Vittorio Emanuele II, 73, 00186 Roma
- Website: http://www.fratellibassetti.com/en/
This celebrated shop has been described by many. To name a few – Selfish Seamstress, Cation Designs, Bobbin and Baste, and the New York Times! It also sells bed linens, upholstery textiles, and designer fabrics.
AZIENDA TESSILE ROMANA
- Address: Via di S. Nicola de’ Cesarini, 13, 00186 Roma
- Website: http://www.aziendatessile.it/
This store is not far from Fratelli Bassetti Tessuti. It is in front of some ancient ruins. There are upholstery fabrics upstairs, and dressmaking collection downstairs.
- Address: Via d’Aracoeli, 21-23, 00186 Roma
- Website: http://www.paganinitessuti.it/
This is a curtains/upholsery fabric store. No dress fabrics, but nonetheless, what they have is pretty amazing. I didn’t spend much time in there though, knowing I probably wasn’t going to get anything (and I didn’t, as I was only looking for dress fabrics).
LONGO TESSUTI (2 stores)
Silks & Wool: Piazza della Enciclopedia Italiana, 50, 00186 Roma (street store)
Cottons & Synthetics: Via delle Botteghe Oscure, 34/a, 00186 Roma (inside an apartment block)
- Website: http://www.longotessuti.com/
There are many more fabric shops in Rome that I didn’t get to visit, but I didn’t want to bore my husband too much with fabric overload! I’ve bought a lot already too :P
A BIT ABOUT OUR WEDDING
After knowing each other since 1992 and together for 15 years, we are married. We have been partners for the whole of our adult lives. It has been an affirmative road of growth and maturation for us as a unit, and also as individuals. Every decision we make, right or wrong, affect not just ourselves but also each other and our future. It’s about learning, celebrating, forgiving, exploring, making memories, working hard, achieving, crying, laughing, rectifying mistakes, improving, tackling setbacks, evaluating, eliminating toxic people and things, understanding, problem solving, planning and building our future together :)
Our ceremony was in a church inside the Vatican City, and our reception was nearby in Rome. I have done some DIY projects for the wedding (no, I did not make my dress…) and will post them when the photos become available…maybe in a few months, according to our Italian photographers :P
For now, a few pics to share :)
Ciao, honeymoon time!