Ahhh. These little things that took me so, so long to make.
PART TWO – PLACE CARDS
I have always loved lace motifs, and decided to incorporate them into my wedding stationery. I bought a large lace bolero on sale for $10 at a local bridal boutique, and diligently cut all the motifs out piece by piece to make my place cards. A similar fabric from a bolt would sell for around $150/m at least!
$10 and enough lace pieces for my place cards as I had a relatively small guest list.
First, cutting apart the bolero and separating each motif roughly.
Now here was the problem. In my mind, I just had to use a seam ripper to separate the motifs and that was it. Turns out the tulle onto which the motifs were sewn on, were roughly cut (you can see the excess tulle ‘webbing’ between the lace details in the pic) and stitched onto the fabric of the bolero. It’s normal in garment production, but I was making a papercraft project and need clean edges…the webbing had to go!
Which meant, using embroidery scissors and painstakingly going around ALL the curves, every leaf and petal, every nook and cranny…to produce a clean result.
Which also meant, it took about 30+mins to cut EACH motif. I even took them to the park to do when I had a break at work!
After many hours and possibly making my fingers arthritic, all the motifs were cut and were ready to be glued onto cardstock. I bought the cards about 15 years ago from a paper shop that was closing down. Yes I hoard, but hey they were useful in the end!
Lace placement all planned out.
Can I just say how happy this made+ still makes me feel? Just by looking at it.
I had to make sure there was enough space for the name to go on the card.
So, names printed on grids, on opalescent paper, then double sided tape at the back and square-punched out.
To ensure precision placement of the lace, I traced the card onto scrap paper. I put the lace and name on the card and turned it over onto the template, applied glue to the back of the lace and aligned the card to the lines. I didn’t do this step initially and messed up a few cards :(
And then it was placing stick-on diamantes and pearls, to the heart’s content!
So, the other challenging part was – packing them, avoid any creasing, damage, dislodgement of stick-on embellishments, stuffing them in our luggage, and bringing them halfway across the world. The day before the wedding, we had to take them to the reception venue. We went past Castel Sant’Angelo.
Tables at our reception dinner – where the place cards belong.
After the morning wedding ceremony, we strolled to St. Peter’s Square for some photos.
~End of Part Two~